If you are part of constructing a new home, consider ways to take complete advantage of the sun – termed "passive solar design". Houses that incorporate passive solar design can positively augment the effects of a solar power system.
Main features to passive solar design include:
- Positioning a home on an east-west axis and ensuring that the home's south side receives its maximum amount of daylight.
- Designing interior spaces so that rooms used most frequently are along the building's south face.
- Taking advantage of thermal mass spaces to store, absorb, and distribute heat.
- Installing overhangs, selecting windows, and adding insulation to maximize sun (and shade).
- Planting trees and other vegetation strategically around your home to provide natural shading and buffer from intense heat.